Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY-The Lorax Plant Pot Holder

Hi dolls.  Today I have a cute and super simple DIY project for you guys.  It will be sure to put a smile on anyone's face!
How cute is this?  I made three of these little guys for my classroom, and snapped pictures so I could show you how easy and fun these were to make!  (Also, I made these at night so I apologize ahead of time for the yellow lighting.)

You will need:

  •  Plant pot holder
  •  Fuzzy colored cotton balls
  • Googley eyes
  • Yellow yarn
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors


To start making the mustaches, all you need to do wrap the yarn around a rectangular object a few times.  I did this about fifteen times.  The more times to wind it around your object, the thicker the mustache will be.  I actually just used my Iphone.  :)  Watch this video here to see what I did, but substitute the yarn for the tulle that the lady is using.  You obviously don't have to fan out the yarn or fluff it up afterwards though to make the mustache. 

Then, using your hot glue gun or craft glue of your choice, add the googley eyes to the pot.  I got my plastic pot from Goodwill, a set of three for .40 cents, brand new!
Feel free to use clay pots as well.  That is what I would have preferred but these plastic ones worked nicely too.  The googley eyes I bought from the Dollar store as well as the fuzzy nose.
I used an orange fuzzy ball for the nose.  Make sure that you glue it securely.
Then, glue the mustache that you made out of yarn right underneath the fuzzy nose.  

And TA-DAH!  You're done!  It's so cute!  These would be great for a Dr. Seuss themed party too.  I made these specifically to hold my Truffula trees that I made the night before!
The Truffula trees were super easy to make as well.  All that I used was:
  • Thin cardboard tube
  • Acrylic paint
  • Tissue paper 
  • Hot Glue
  • Scissors
  • Paint brushes
  • String
If you're already familiar with how to make tissue poms, then this should be super easy for you to DIY.   This video can help you out if you've never made them before.  I just cut the ends of my tissue paper into sharp triangles to represent the feathers on the Truffula trees before fanning out the tissue paper.  

These are going to decorate my classroom and tie in nicely with my rainbow theme!  

Happy crafting!










No comments:

Post a Comment